As announced earlier this year, ITS is archiving Blackboard courses with a term end date greater than 395 days old (one year plus 30 days). The change is needed to ensure that the College complies with the storage space limits defined in its agreement with Blackboard.
Upcoming archiving dates:
- Courses from term 1201 will be disabled and archived on May 17th, 2021. Please review your courses and backup what you need.
- Courses from term 1202 will be disabled and archived on Sept 6th, 2021. Please review your courses and backup what you need.
Should you have questions associated with saving existing course materials for reuse, the CAE has created a Guide for Exporting Courses and Course Components. This guide explains:
- The differences between a Blackboard archive and export file and their purposes
- How to create an export file of a Blackboard course site
- How to import an export file into a Blackboard course site
In particular, please note that while you are encouraged to make backups of important materials that are scheduled for deletion, it is rare that instructors need to create an archive file of their courses. Archive files include course content, course statistics, user information, and user interactions with the course. If a situation arises where it is important to be able to access content and user information from previous courses, ITS has access to archives of all courses that have been deleted and can supply that information on request.
Instead of an archive, we would recommend creating an export of any materials that you might need from your courses. This will allow you to save all of or a selection of your course content for reuse, including course content, assessments, and settings. In addition to the Guide for Exporting Courses and Course Components, you can also refer to this video on exporting and importing a Blackboard course that is available in the CAE video library.